What does data privacy and security mean in today's world?
This Toolkit provides information about state laws and pending federal regulations regarding data security and privacy protection that may affect your business.
This Data Security and Privacy Course aims to educate real estate associations, brokers, agents, and multiple listing services about the need for data security and privacy; and to assist them in complying with legal responsibilities.
Learn how to create a data security program for your brokerage from NAR Associate Counsel Jessica Edgerton.
- Social Media Privacy and Security Features: NAR Field Guide providing background information on concerns with various popular social media sites, and including tips and suggestions to protect privacy and identity.
Are You & Your Data an Easy Target?
Safety expert Andrew Wooten provides tips on how to keep you and your data safe while at the office. Topics covered in this free NAR webinar include workplace personal safety, how to keep your office from becoming exposed to risk, and how to create an office plan with safeguards.
Identity Theft: Protecting You & Your Clients
The second in the series of NAR's REALTOR® Safety Webinars led by industry expert Andrew Wooten, "Identity Theft: Protecting You and Your Clients," offered several suggestions and precautions you should take to keep your personal information and property secure, and what you should do if you are a victim of identity theft. The session also provides great information to can share with your clients, including brief instructions on how to keep your clients' information protected.
Social Media & Cyber Safety
In this session, safety expert Andrew Wooten, provides social media and cybersafety safety tips. Learn how today's criminals are using your social media information for illegal activities, and discover how you could be tracked through geotags.
Tools for REALTORS®
What are your legal obligations? Where can you find the latest information about the laws?
- Five Steps Towards Achieving Data Security
- Cybersecurity Checklist: Best Practices for Real Estate Professionals
- NAR Toolkit (member log-in required)
- NAR Principles: REALTOR®-endorsed data privacy and security principles regarding personal information
- Internet Security Best Practices: NAR’s Information Services three-part report recommending a number of security practices to help keep REALTORS® and their business safe online.
- FTC Data Security Best Practices: Rules and guides for businesses of any size.
- FTC: Privacy Initiatives: A comprehensive listing of compliance resources, including Data Security, from the FTC, categorized by line of work.
- FTC: Avoid ID Theft: Detailed information to help consumers deter, detect, and defend against identity theft.
- FTC Data Security Best Practices: Free resources to help businesses securely collect, keep, and dispose of sensitive personal information of customers or employees in their files.