The At Home With Diversity® curriculum encompasses topics of diversity, equity, inclusion, fair housing, and risk reduction. Participants will gain practical skills and tools to expand business and effectively serve all clients.
- Develop an increased awareness of cultural and personal biases that may inhibit you from fully embracing diversity and creating a successful multicultural real estate business.
- Learn inclusive, multi-cultural marketing and advertising strategies to broaden your client base.
- Formulate an inclusive business plan to help you create an enduring business that is able to adapt and evolve to an ever-changing marketplace.
Course Learning Outcomes
Module 1: The Foundation of a Better Business: Embracing Diversity
- Discuss the importance of embracing diversity on both a professional and personal level to grow a thriving and inclusive real estate business.
- Summarize the cultural concepts and social categories that will help you to better understand, relate to, and engage with clients in our diverse real estate market.
- Describe the immigrant community in the United States and their increasing buying power in the real estate market.
Module 2: Housing Policy in America: Past and Present
- Outline the major historic events leading up to the Fair Housing Act and how it informs the need for inclusive housing policies today.
- Summarize what’s in the Fair Housing Act, including its protected classes, its prohibitions, and its exemptions.
- Describe the real estate practices that pose particular risks of discrimination and the process to follow in reporting acts of discrimination.
Module 3: A House Is a Home: One America Principles
- Explain why One America Principles are a fundamental part of inclusive real estate practices
- Articulate why embracing diversity and inclusion is important to effectively adhering to NAR’s Code of Ethics and applying Fair Housing statutes.
- Describe how you can utilize the Equal Professional Model and summarize other strategies you can use to ensure your real estate practice is inclusive.
Module 4: Be a Diversity Warrior: Combatting Bias to Create a Thriving Business
- Distinguish between cultural and personal biases and how each can adversely shape our perceptions and behaviors when dealing with clients.
- Explain how understanding the differences between high- and low-context cultures can help you to create a more successful and inclusive real estate business.
- Summarize how reading nonverbal cues and active listening can help you better engage and effectively communicate with a diverse client base.
Module 5: Expanding Your Business: Inclusive Multicultural Marketing
- Understand the value of analyzing the demographics of your community and creating an inclusive brand.
- Explain the importance of networking and performing meaningful multicultural outreach in your community.
- Create an advertising and social media marketing strategy that is inclusive and FHA compliant.
Module 6: Creating Your Inclusive Business Plan
- Formulate an inclusive business plan that embraces diversity and grows your business.