Professional Standards Training & Information Resources
PS Monthly Sessions
Interested in professional standards? Join Diane Mosley, NAR's Director of Training and Policy Resources, on the last Tuesday of each month for an interactive Q&A session from 1-2 p.m. CT.
This page sets forth materials to help teach REALTORS® and association staff how to administer and make proper decisions in ethics and arbitration matters. The materials are particularly useful to train individuals who serve on grievance or professional standards committees, or the association's board of directors.
These resources are designed to be used in a classroom setting as part of local association's professional standards training, and highlight critical issues that arise in professional standards matters.
Note: The debriefs/answers/guidance provided for the various exercises is based upon the adopted policies/Code of Ethics & Arbitration Manual at the time the exercise was created.
- Findings of Fact Training Exercises: These materials assist REALTORS® in better understanding how to write findings of fact that support their conclusion and issue appropriate discipline. Having well-written findings of fact is critical to ensure that your association’s ethics decisions are sound and defensible.
- Arbitration Scenario Exercises: These training materials help REALTORS® serving on arbitration tribunals understand how to consider and arrive at fair, equitable, and reasoned decisions in procuring cause and other contractual and specific non-contractual disputes.
- Ethics Appeal Exercises: These materials assist REALTORS® serving on ethics appeal tribunals better understand how to consider and make proper decisions. Fictional fact scenarios highlight critical issues for ethics appeal panelists.
- Grievance Committee Training Exercises: These materials help REALTORS® serving on grievance committees understand how to consider and make knowledgeable dispositions of ethics complaints and arbitration requests.
- "What-If" Training Exercises: These exercises are designed to explore complex or tricky circumstances in professional standards policy/procedures.
Professional Standards Training Guide
This guide is offered as a tool for continuing, consistent training of Grievance Committee, Professional Standards Committee, and Board of Directors Members of constituent Member Boards of REALTORS®.
Time Frames & Best Practices for Processing Ethics Complaints & Arbitration Requests
This document outlines the seven stages of processing ethics complaints and arbitration requests.
Policy Into Practice Video Series
This video series explains key REALTOR® association policy in three main areas: Membership, Professional Standards, and Multiple Listings Services (MLSs).
Mandatory Professional Standards Administrator Training
At REALTOR® boards and associations, those primarily responsible for the administration of professional standards processes must successfully complete training. View the learning objectives, minimum criteria, and training resources on this page.
Professional Standards Procedures Quiz
Are you an expert in NAR's professional standards procedures? Take this quiz to find out.
The Five E's of Due Process
The right of a private judicial system, like NAR's ethics and arbitration hearings, is conditioned by law in its commitment to due process as recognized by the five elements explained in this article.
Mediator/Mediation Training Seminar
Intensive two-and-a-half-day training seminar designed to enhance and refine existing mediation skills.
Additional Policy Videos
View videos about REALTOR® association policy, rules, and procedures related to membership, multiple listing services, and professional standards.