"Good Sense Governance" is a monthly series created by NAR’s Association & MLS Governance and Legal Affairs teams, and provides association governance "best practices", as well as topical resources, aimed to help associations implement sound governance practices, and tackle important governance issues.
NAR offers the following resources for association reference and use:
Board of Directors
This good sense governance guide (DOC: 555 KB) explains how the association's board of directors is the governing body and establishes the policy directives of the organization.
- Leadership Development articles, links, and resources from NAR and other sources.
- Voting Procedures (Bylaws and Policy Manual) (PDF) — Rogue Valley AOR (OR)
- Board of Director Bylaws Provisions (PDF) — Las Cruces AOR (NM)
- Board of Director Bylaws Provisions (PDF) — San Francisco AOR (CA)
Alternatives to Attendance at In-Person Meetings
This good sense governance guide (DOC: 489 KB) helps explain alternatives to attendance at in-person meetings like electronic meetings, unanimous written consents, proxy voting, and ballot voting.
Sample Attendance Policies
This good sense governance guide (PDF: 528 KB) helps explain the Association's position on harassment and how to prevent it.
- Code of Conduct & Sexual Harassment Policy
- Sexual Harassment Awareness Quiz from REALTOR® Magazine
- Time to Update Your Sexual Harassment Policy
Sample Harassment Polices
- Harassment Policies (PDF) — Northern Virginia Association of REALTORS®
- Harassment Policy (PDF) — Greater Las Vegas Association of REALTORS®
- Harassment Policy (DOC) — Missouri Association of REALTORS®
- Harassment Policy (PDF) — Raleigh Regional REALTOR® Association
This good sense governance guide (DOC: 603 KB) helps explain the fiduciary duties officers and directors owe when serving their Association of REALTORS®.
Fiduciary Duty Articles
Sample Fiduciary Duty Policies
- 2018 Pledge of Fiduciary Duty (PDF) — Virginia REALTORS®
- Board of Directors Agreement to Serve (PDF) — Delaware Association of REALTORS®
- Board of Directors Code of Conduct (PDF) — Scottsdale Area Association of REALTORS®
- Code of Conduct (PDF) — Missouri REALTORS®
- Confidentially and Antitrust Scripts (PDF) — Capital Area Association of REALTORS®
- Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest Policy (PDF) — Scottsdale Area Association of REALTORS®
- Conflict of Interest Form (PDF) — Raleigh Regional REALTOR® Association
- Integrity, Conflict of Interest, Disclosure, and Certification Policy and Code of Conduct and Civility Policy for All C.A.R. Directors and Committee Members (PDF) — California Association of REALTORS®
- Policies for Volunteers (PDF) — Northern Virginia Association of REALTORS®
Fiduciary Duty Videos
Fiduciary Duties Owed by Directors of Associations:
Director's Duty of Loyalty:
If your association has supplemental resources to add to this toolkit, please send them to Katie Goldberg at email@example.com.