Profile of International Activity in U.S. Residential Real Estate
This annual report focuses on two groups of international buyers and sellers of residential real estate:
- Non-resident foreigners: Non-U.S. citizens with permanent residences outside the United States. These clients typically purchase property for investment, vacation,or visits of less than six months to the United States on non-immigrant visas.
- Resident foreigners: Non-U.S. citizens who are recent immigrants (less than two years at the time of the transaction) or non-immigrant visa holders who reside for more than six months in the United States for professional,educational, or other reasons.
- $77.9 Bn – Dollar volume of foreign buyer residential purchases during April 2018–March 2019 (36% decrease from $121 billion during April 2017–March 2018)
- 183,100 – Number of foreign buyer existing-home purchases, which is 3% of existing-home sales (31% decrease from 266,800 during April 2017–March 2018)
- 60% – Foreign buyers who resided in the United States (U.S.) as recent immigrants or visa holders
- $280,600 – Foreign buyer median purchase price ($259,600 for all U.S. existing-homes sold)