Download (PDF 3.9 MB) | News Release
The 2022 Profile of International Transactions in U.S. Residential Real Estate presents information regarding REALTOR® transactions with international clients who purchased and sold U.S. residential property during the 12-month period of April 2021-March 2022. The report also provides information on U.S. clients seeking to purchase property abroad.
The term international or foreign client refers to two types of clients:
- Non-resident foreigners (Type A): Non-U.S. citizens with permanent residences outside the U.S.
- Resident foreigners (Type B): Non-U.S. citizens who are recent immigrants (less than two years at the time of the transaction) or non-immigrant visa holders who reside for more than six months in the U.S. for professional, educational, or other reasons.
$59 Billion: Dollar volume of foreign buyer residential purchases during April 2021-March 2022 (2.6% of $2.3 trillion of the dollar volume of existing-home sales)
98,600: Number of foreign buyer existing-home purchases during April 2021-March 2022 (1.6% of 6.06 million existing-home sales)
57%: Foreign buyers who reside in the United States (recent immigrants; less than two years at the time of the transaction) or non-immigrant visa holders (Type B)
Top Foreign Buyers
- Canada (11% of foreign buyers, $5.5 B)
- Mexico (8% of foreign buyers, $2.9 B)
- China (6% of foreign buyers, $6.1 B)
- India (5% of foreign buyers, $3.6 B)
- Brazil (3% of foreign buyers, $1.6 B)
- Colombia (3% of foreign buyers, $1.0 B)