Below is NAR President John Smaby's letter outlining key issues to be discussed at the Board of Directors meeting at the 2019 REALTORS® Conference & Expo in San Francisco on Monday, Nov. 11.
Download letter (DOC: 243 KB)
The 2019 REALTORS® Conference & Expo is just days away and we have vital Association work to accomplish.
As NAR Directors, we are helping to write the next chapter of NAR’s story. We have an important responsibility: At the upcoming Board of Directors Meeting on Monday, November 11, we will vote on a number of issues that influence our Association’s strategic direction. It is essential each of us comes to the meeting ready and equipped to make informed decisions.
Prepare for the Board Meeting
So we can be as efficient as possible, I appreciate your review the following background before the meeting:
- Committee reports (PDF: 289 KB) highlighting the key issues we anticipate may be discussed at the Directors’ meeting.
- The proposed Amendment to Article XI of the NAR Bylaws.
- The Board of Directors Meeting Agenda.
Additionally, below you will find important information and logistics, including key events you will not want to miss. Please take the time to review this information carefully.
BOD Check-in and Logistics
- BOD check-in counters will open at 7:30 a.m. on Monday, November 11, in the Marriott Marquis, Yerba Buena Grand Assembly, Lower B2 Level. At check-in, each director will receive a voting smartcard and final meeting documents.
- Director resignations or changes to a director name on the Board roster will be accepted by NAR up to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 10. No roster changes will be accepted the morning of the Board meeting.
- All directors must be checked in by the time the meeting is called to order promptly at 8:30 a.m. Directors are required to participate until the meeting adjourns.
- If you need to check out of your hotel room before the meeting, a special luggage storage area will be located near the Directors’ Check-in Counters for your convenience.
Other Sessions and Events for Directors
Your NAR Your Way
Mark your calendar to attend the NAR Your Way Forum on Thursday, November 7, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. at the Marriott Marquis, Golden Gate A, B2 Level. This is your in-person opportunity to join in the conversation about the ideal future governing process for YOUR National Association. The Governance Game Changer Presidential Advisory Group will consider feedback from this forum in their recommendations. You can also provide input at the Governance Game Changer PAG website.
I encourage you to attend the NAR 360° program on Thursday, November 7, at 4:00 p.m. in the Marriott Marquis, Yerba Buena Ballroom. This forum officially kicks off the Conference and provides an excellent overview of the issues shaping our industry.
Class Action Litigation Update
Join Katie Johnson, General Counsel and Chief Member Experience Officer; Mantill Williams, Vice President Vice President, Public Relations & Communication Strategy; and NAR’s litigation counsel Jack Bierig to hear the latest on NAR’s efforts to defend against the class action lawsuits and ensure that REALTORS® and MLSs continue to provide the most efficient and successful home buying and selling experience for consumers.
Clear Cooperation Proposal
On Saturday, November 9th, be sure to attend the MLS Forum from 9 a.m. to 10:25 a.m. in Room 2014, Level 2 of Moscone West, to discuss the proposed new policy about “off MLS” listings and cooperation among MLS Participants, followed immediately by Committee’s consideration of the matter. To learn more visit the Clear Cooperation Proposal website.
NAR Eligible Candidate Forum
Also on Saturday, November 9, NAR will hold an Eligible Candidates Forum from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 2007, Level 2 of Moscone West, where candidates for various offices will address the Directors. The eligible candidates are:
- Kenny Parcell for 2021 First Vice President
- Leslie Rouda-Smith for 2021 President-Elect
- Nancy Lane and David McKey for 2021 to 2022 Treasurer
Thank you for your attentiveness and diligence. This is a substantial amount of information to cover, but your efforts help build a sustainable future for our Association and industry. On behalf of NAR’s 2019 Leadership Team, thank you for your service to the REALTOR® community. Thank you for helping NAR OWN OUR STORY!
2019 NAR President