As 2020 comes to a close and we experience the Holiday season which is often synonymous with giving to others, we look back at a truly unprecedented year. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, economic setbacks, and stay-at-home orders, more people than ever need a helping hand from their peers. Seeing this first-hand, REALTORS® have stepped up to the plate, giving back to the communities in which they live in the form of both their time and resources.
Using data from the 2020 C.A.R.E. Report: Community Aid and Real Estate, we take a look at the real impact REALTORS® have had over the past year in giving back:
- Sixty-seven percent of REALTOR® members-at-large volunteered on a monthly basis (66% in 2018)
- To help with COVID-19 relief efforts, REALTORS® are most likely to have volunteered with food delivery for elderly or wellness checks, and to have donated to food banks for masks/protective gear
- Nine percent of members donated/helped secure stable housing for those in need
- Eighty-two percent of REALTOR® members-at-large made donations last year (82% in 2018)
- Sixty-eight percent of general members-at-large reported that their firm encourages its employees to volunteer (64% in 2018)
- Agents who volunteer on a monthly basis, on average, have higher personal incomes compared to those who don’t
- Agents with 16 or more years of experience volunteer at the highest rate, 73 percent volunteer on a monthly basis
- Ninety-two percent of broker-owners made donations last year (at a median of $2,000), an increase from 81 percent in 2018
- The median annual value that associations donated to their communities was $10,000 ($5,000 in 2018)
As 2020 ends and we enter a new year, please remember to give back and help out those around you.