Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is observed on the third Monday of January and marks the birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This holiday is also recognized as a day of service, and is an opportunity to serve your community. Based on data from the 2017 Member Profile and 2017 Firm Profile we can see how REALTORS® are volunteering in their community.
- Seventy percent of all REALTORS® volunteer in their community, and the typical REALTOR® who volunteers is 53 years old.
- Sixty-one percent of REALTORS® aged 50 and older volunteer in their community.
- Sixty-five percent of the REALTORS® volunteering are women, and 35 percent are men.
- Fifteen percent of volunteers were fluent in a language other than English.
- REALTORS® who volunteered typically had previous careers in management, business, or financial field were more likely than any other previous career to volunteer (18 percent), and sales or retail (14 percent).
- Among firms, there is encouragement for REALTORS® to volunteer. Eighty percent encourage volunteering in the local community, 43 percent encourage volunteering with their local association, 24 percent encourage volunteering with their state association of REALTORS®, and 18 percent with the National Association of REALTORS®.