In April 2020, NAR released a report that reveals insight as to where sustainability efforts are growing within the real estate industry. Below are a few 2020 REALTORS® and Sustainability report highlights identifying members positioning on sustainable issues.
- 61% of respondents found clients were at least somewhat interested in sustainability.
- 85% of respondents said properties with solar panels were available in their market.
- 40% said properties with solar panels increased the perceived property value.
- A majority of agents and brokers (70%) said that energy efficiency promotion in listings was very or somewhat valuable.
- Over half of agents and brokers found that consumers (52%) were somewhat interested in sustainability, and 9% were very interested.
- A majority of agents and brokers (74%) said that energy efficiency promotion in listings was very or somewhat valuable.
- 58% of respondents were extremely comfortable or comfortable answering clients’ questions about building performance.
- Market issues and considerations agents and brokers listed as important included improving the energy efficiency on existing buildings (49%).
- 42% of REALTORS® said buildings with green certifications, such as LEED, Green Globes, or Living Building Challenge, had increased commercial property values.
- 38% of respondents had clients ask for advice on improving energy efficiency in their building or space.
For more industry insight on sustainability, please read NAR’s full 2020 Sustainability Report.