Attention to Detail
- Tell me about a time you found an error in your own work. How did it happen? What did you do about it?
- Have you ever had an experience in which you were glad you had paid attention to some particular detail? Please describe it.
- With which supervisors have you found it easiest to work? Most difficult? Why?
- What kinds of problems have you had in switching from one job to another?
- Give me an example of how you would explain a complicated procedure to someone who was new.
- Describe a decision you made based largely on data you obtained by asking questions.
- Have you ever done any public speaking? How did you handle the assignment? How did it work out?
- Tell me about the toughest decision you have had to make in the last year. What made it so difficult?
- Describe a work-related problem you had to face recently? What procedures did you use to deal with it?
- Are there occasions when you feel you make up your mind too quickly? Too slowly?
- Describe your normal methods of assigning work to subordinates.
- Tell me about a situation in which you delegated a responsibility, but the work wasn’t done as you expected. Why do you think this happened? What you would you do differently next time?
- Give me an example of a project or idea you’ve undertaken, even though you knew it would not be popular with some people. How did things work out?
- Summarize a situation in which you took the initiative to get others going on an important issue and played a leading role to achieve the desired results?
- Describe a situation where you found you had a serious problem. What did you do to solve it?
- Have you had to introduce a new policy or idea that departed from the customary way of doing things? What approach did you take to gain cooperation? How did it work out?
- Describe a situation in which a subordinate had a performance problem. How did you handle it?
- Describe a typical work week. How did you plan the week’s activities? How well did the schedule work?
- Tell me about an occasion when your schedule was upset by unforeseen circumstances. What did you do?
- What kinds of pressures do you feel in your job? How do you cope? What frustrates you the most?
This section of the HR Toolkit is of use to AEs and association leadership alike.
View HR Toolkit - For Association Presidents to see more.