Association Executives Committee
Issues Analysis Work Group
REALTORS® Conference and Expo
Saturday, November 5, 2016
Work Group Purpose
To review the latest REALTOR® association industry issues and trends reports and create a dialogue on how associations can consider these issues in their planning so they can proactively address some of the challenges facing associations.
“Unleashing the Power of Real Estate Data” is the issues and trends report that the Issues Analysis Work Group referenced for its discussions. Released during the May 2016 REALTORS® Legislative Meetings, this report is based on facilitated discussions between the AEC Strategic Issues Work Group and brokers, sales associates, real estate consultants, economists, and technology experts. The report is intended to assist real estate associations, brokers, sales associates, and affiliated professionals in their strategic planning.
At the work group’s first meeting members shared their initial observations of the “Unleashing the Power of Real Estate Data” report, and met in four teams to discuss the major components of the report and to determine how associations can use the report to address some of the challenges they’re facing. Work group members continued their discussions and more fully developed their ideas throughout the summer via email and phone meetings.
During the November meeting the four teams reported on the recommendations and/or actions they identified for associations to ensure that they attain the greatest benefit from the 2016 AEC strategic issues report, “Unleashing the Power of Real Estate Data.” The compilation of each team’s work is attached as Appendix A.
As noted in the compilation, the work group’s recommendations were identified as follows:
- Recommend additions to the AE Competencies and Body of Knowledge as used for the RCE exam. This will be forwarded to NAR’s Association Leadership Development staff for use in the 2017 update of the AE Competencies and Body of Knowledge.
- Recommend topics to be addressed through programming at the AE Institute. This will be forwarded to the AE Institute Advisory Board for consideration at the June 2017 AE Institute Planning Session.
- Suggest that state associations utilize in their strategic planning conversations and/or for use in local AE training sessions. These recommendations will be forwarded to state association chief staff executives.
- Suggest for use as roundtable topics at NAR meetings including AE Institute, the GAD Institute, Communications Directors Summit and MLS/CMLS meetings. These topics will be forwarded to the respective NAR staff.
- Teams to submit recommendations to NAR staff Cindy Sampalis by August 26.
Work Group Members
Janet Kane, RCE, CAE, Chair
Janie Wilson, RCE, Vice Chair
Jeff Arakelian, RCE
Melanie Blakeney, RCE
Ryan Castle, RCE
Laura Crowther, RCE
Anne Marie DeCatsye
Sheila Dodson, RCE
Lance Evans, RCE
Cathy Faulkner, RCE
Allan Hetkowski, RCE, CAE
John Leonardi, RCE
Angela Shields, RCE, CAE
Margery Shinners, RCE, CAE
Robert Taylor, RCE