On May 15, 2019 at the REALTORS® Legislative Meetings and Trade Expo in Washington, D.C., the Risk Management Issues Committee presented a “Legal Hot Topics” educational session, which featured presentations from industry experts on trending risk management issues, including:
- Katie Johnson, NAR General Counsel and Chief Member Experience Officer, discussed wire fraud risk in real estate, including steps brokerages can take to prevent wire fraud, and an overview of the recent class action antitrust lawsuits filed against NAR.
- Resource: Legal Hot Topics for Brokers
- Michael Chodos, General Counsel, Senior VP, Notarize, provided an overview of remote online notarization laws, and the mechanics of the remote online notarization process.
- Resource: "Why We Notarize At All?" (PPTX: 1.69 MB)
- Video: Notarize.com: Demonstration of Remote Online Notarization Platform
- Steve Cannon, Chairman, Constantine Cannon LLP, discussed the challenges to occupational licensing boards in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in North Carolina Dental and subsequent litigation between the FTC and the Louisiana Appraisal Board.
- Resource: "FTC v. Louisiana Real Estate Appraisers Board: Lessons for REALTOR® Risk Management" (PPT: 344.5 KB)