In July 2023, NAR surveyed its members about sustainability issues facing the industry. The findings are as follows:
- Nineteen percent of respondents reported that their Commercial Information Exchange (CIE) had green data fields, compared to 33% that did not have green data fields.
- A majority of agents and brokers (65%) said that energy efficiency promotion in listings was very or somewhat valuable.
- Thirty-nine percent of REALTORS® said buildings with green certifications, such as LEED, Green Globes, or the Living Building Challenge, had increased commercial property values.
- Thirty percent of REALTORS® said buildings with green certifications, such as LEED, Green Globes, or the Living Building Challenge, spent neither more nor less time on the market.
- Thirty-five percent of brokerage firms had experience working with commercial building repurposing, such as converting empty malls into technical schools.
- Fifty-two percent of respondents were extremely comfortable or comfortable answering clients' questions about building performance, while 17% said they were uncomfortable or extremely uncomfortable.
- The building features that REALTORS® believed were most important to clients included utility and operations costs (34%), indoor air quality (22%), energy-efficient windows/doors (20%), and efficient use of lighting (13%).
- Fourteen percent of respondents had clients ask for advice on financing sustainability or energy efficiency building improvements.