International Transactions in U.S. Residential Real Estate
The 2020 Profile of International Transactions in U.S. Residential Real Estate presents information regarding REALTOR® transactions with international clients who purchased and sold U.S. residential property during the 12-month period of April 2019 March 2020. The report also provides some information on U.S. clients seeking to purchase property abroad.
The term international or foreign client refers to two types of clients:
- Non-resident foreigners (Type A): Non-U.S. citizens with permanent residences outside the United States.
- Resident foreigners (Type B): Non-U.S. citizens who are recent immigrants (less than two years at the time of the transaction) or non-immigrant visa holders who reside for more than six months in the United States for professional, educational, or other reasons.
- $74 Billion – Dollar volume of foreign buyer residential purchases during April 2019 March 2020 (5% decrease from $77.9 billion during April 2018 March 2019)
- 154,000 – Number of foreign buyer existing-home purchases, which is 3% of existing-home sales (down 16% from 183,100 during April 2018 March 2019)
- 61% – Foreign buyers who resided in the United States (U.S.) as recent immigrants or visa holders
Top 5 Foreign Buyers
- China ($15 B)
- Canada ($9.5 B)
- Mexico ($5.8 B)
- India ($5.4 B)
- Colombia ($1.3 B)