Highlights from the NAR Member Profile
Based on a random sampling of membership of the National Association of REALTORS®, the annual Member Profile strives to answer the question: Who are REALTORS®?
This report examines:
- 68% of REALTORS® were licensed sales agents
- 20% held broker licenses
- 13% held broker associate licenses
- The typical REALTOR® had 8 years of experience, down from 9 last year.
- 79% of REALTORS® were very certain they would remain active as a real estate professional for two more years.
- At 60%, lack of inventory surpassed the difficulty finding the right property and housing affordability as the most important factor limiting potential clients from making a purchase.
- Most REALTORS® worked 35 hours per week in 2020, down from 36 hours last year.
- The typical REALTOR® earned 15% of their business from repeat clients and customers, and 19% through referrals from past clients and customers.
- The typical property manager managed 39 properties in 2020, up from 35 properties in 2019.
- In 2020, 37% of REALTORS® were compensated under a fixed commission split (under 100%), followed by 23% with a graduated commission split (increases with productivity).
- REALTORS® with 16 years or more experience had a median gross income of $75,000—down from %86,500 in 2019—compared to REALTORS® with 2 years or less experience that had a median gross income of $8,500—a decrease from $8,900 in 2019.
- The largest expense category for most REALTORS® was vehicle expenses, which was $1,200.
- 53% of REALTORS® were affiliated with an independent company.
- 88% of members were independent contractors at their firms.
- The median tenure for REALTORS® with their current firm was five years, up from a median of four years in the 2020 survey.
- 8% of REALTORS® worked for a firm that was bought or merged in the past two years.
- 69% of REALTORS® reported having a website for business use.
- For professional use, REALTORS® were typically most active on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram over other professional networking websites.
- The method through which REALTORS® prefer to communicate with clients was text messaging (93%), followed by telephone (90%), and email (89%).