Congress allocated $46.55 billion in emergency rental assistance relief for renters and housing providers who were struggling due to the impact of COVID-19. These funds were disbursed to the states and many counties, which have since created their own programs for disbursing aid to qualified applicants.
The Supreme Court ruled on August 26, 2021 that the latest federal eviction moratorium extension was unlawful.
NAR has always maintained that the best solution for all parties was rental assistance to cover the rent, taxes, and utility bills for tenants struggling during the pandemic. This prevents two crises—one for tenants, and one for mom-and-pop housing providers who do not have a reprieve from their bills.
NAR continues to push the Administration and Congress to work with us in throwing our full efforts behind the deployment of rental assistance nationwide, covering up to a year-and-a-half of back and future payments for renters across the country who are struggling to gain access to those funds.
Find below a list of rental assistance resources:
National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) Resources on Rental Assistance for Housing Providers and Renters
- Coronavirus FAQs for Housing Providers
- Information on Rental Assistance, COVID-19 protocols for property managers and owners
- Links to resources to find Emergency Rental Assistance Programs
- Background and Talking Points: CDC Eviction Moratorium
- Comprehensive background and talking points for housing providers and property owners
- Issue Brief: CDC Eviction Moratorium Litigation
- A comprehensive look into the Supreme Court Order regarding the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nationwide eviction moratorium implementation.
- State and Federal Outlook: Evictions Foreclosures and Rental Assistance (August 2021)
- Information on state eviction and foreclosure moratoria, rental/mortgage relief programs (as of August 30, 2021)
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Resources on Rental Assistance for Housing Providers and Renters
- Emergency Rental Assistance Information for Renters and Landlords
Treasury Department Resources on Rental Assistance for Housing Providers and Renters
- Emergency Rental Assistance – Information, FAQs
- Information on ERAP – eligibility requirements
- Find Local Rental Assistance
National Council of State Housing Agencies Resources on Rental Assistance for Housing Providers and Renters
- Emergency Rental Assistance – Find Your Region’s Program
- Map to find local programs
- Find your local state housing agency
- Homeowner Assistance Fund
National Low Income Housing Coalition Resources on Rental Assistance for Housing Providers and Renters
- ERA Dashboard – State and Local Rental Assistance
- Search for your local program (federal only)
- Search for rental assistance (ERAP and other programs)
- Treasury Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) Dashboard
National Multifamily Housing Coalition Resources on Rental Assistance for Housing Providers and Renters
- Tools for Communicating with Residents
- Eviction Mitigation Recommendations
- Talking Points: Communicating Rent Flexibility
- Considerations for Rent Flexibility Options