Montana’s new-home construction is booming. The state had the highest growth rate nationwide annually in February, with residential housing permits surging 121%, the National Association of Home Builders reports.
Overall, single-family permits nationwide—a gauge of future construction—has increased by 3.5% year over year in February. Between February 2021 and February 2022, 28 states and the District of Columbia posted growth in single-family permits.
Meanwhile, 22 states posted a decline in single-family permits annually in February. Pennsylvania saw the steepest decline at 26.7%.
By metro level, the following seven metro areas saw the highest overall number of single-family permits in February annually:
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, Ga.
- Austin-Round Rock, Texas
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, N.C.-S.C.
- Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, Fla.