In the spirit of Presidents Day, we can use data from the 2019 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers to see how the typical home differs from the White House.
Typical Home Purchased in the U.S.
- 87% of buyers purchased a previously owned home, with 83% of buyers choosing a detached single-family home.
- Both first-time and repeat buyers purchased detached single-family homes, with 81% of first-time buyers and 84% of repeat buyers purchasing these homes.
- 50% of all buyers purchased their home in a suburb/subdivision, and 22% in a small town.
- The typical detached single-family home purchased was 1,940 square feet.
- Recent homes purchased also had a median of 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and were built in 1990.
- Among all buyers, the expected length of tenure in the home purchased was 15 years.
The White House
- The White House was built in 1792, and in comparison is located in an urban or central area.
- The White House contains 6 levels, has 132 rooms, including 35 bathrooms.
- It also includes features such as a tennis court, jogging track, swimming pool, billiard room, movie theater, and bowling alley.
- While tenure in the median expected tenure in home lasts around 14 years, in the White House the expected tenure is between 4 and 8 years.
For more information on this data check out the 2019 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers.