2021 NAR Strategic Priorities
Champion REALTORS® as a Consumer's Best Source of Information on the Real Estate Transaction.
REALTORS® are a collective force, cooperating to provide the real estate data and expertise that consumers, businesses, and governments rely on. In 2021, NAR will:
- Reinforce the central role REALTORS® play in the industry and the transaction as businesses evolve and pivot to virtual operations.
- Continue to support programs and policies that open markets and break geographic barriers to facilitate the sharing of property listings and other data.
- Inform and engage consumers on real estate issues at the national, state and local level to augment our voice to public officials.
Collaboration between MLSs and other data providers helps ensure the brokerage community can meet the expectations of today’s consumers.
Expand Housing Equality and Affordability
REALTORS® are committed to fulfilling the promise of the Fair Housing Act. Building on our Fair Housing ACT! Plan (ACT = Accountability, Culture Change, and Training), NAR will lead the way toward policies and programs that:
- Help our members provide equal opportunity to all homebuyers.
- Enable more people to build wealth through homeownership. » Foster diverse, inclusive communities.
- Attract a diverse, inclusive next generation of practitioners.
Collaboration with a broad coalition of organizations—including multicultural real estate groups, lenders, and builders—brings a collective voice to the mission of equal housing opportunity for all. Our combined thought leadership makes our voice stronger.
Enhance Member Engagement and the Member Experience
REALTORS® get measurable value from their membership, and their engagement in the organization benefits their business and their community. To enhance member engagement in 2021, NAR will:
- Facilitate robust member participation in the political process at the local, state, and federal levels. When members speak with one voice on issues that impact real estate, we are a powerful force multiplier.
- Quantify members’ volunteer efforts in order to demonstrate the impact REALTORS® have on communities across the country.
- Help members adjust to the new realities of the market through delivery of essential resources and services, including worldclass credentials and professional development offered live or online.
- Continue a multiyear effort to know our members better in order to provide more relevant, customized content and services through:
- Updates to our data infrastructure
- Active listening and communication through appropriate channels
- Emphasis on diversity and inclusion in decision making
Collaboration with state and local associations and our technology partners is essential to providing members with a more customized experience. Members will feel heard, and their perception of the value of membership in the REALTOR® organization will increase.
Drive Community Development
REALTORS® are informed and engaged community leaders, driving economic development, affordability, and innovative community design. In 2021, NAR will:
- Work to elect REALTOR® champions and advance the real estate issues at every level that drive community development, private property rights, and the American dream of home ownership.
- Advocate for real estate as an essential service during times of crisis and as a leader in economic recovery.
- Actively seek to generate opportunity for commercial members by bringing together practitioners, investors, developers, and community leaders from around the country.
Collaboration between residential and commercial real estate organizations— including NAR’s affiliated institutes, societies, and councils—strengthens our value to the industry and the community.