These Myths Cost Homeowners Money

Homeowners are constantly on the lookout for clever hacks to make managing and cleaning a home easier, but some of these tricks may be costing them money in the long run. Many people believe that putting lemons in the garbage disposal will help keep it clean and smelling fresh. In reality, the citric acid from the lemon juice can corrode the metal in the disposal, and the peel can damage the grinding components and clog the pipes. Another cleaning myth is using bleach to treat mold. In fact, not only does bleach not work to kill the mold, diluted bleach can actually feed future mold growth, so a commercial anti-fungal product is a better option.

Story Springboard:

Check out HouseLogic's “Home Myths Busted!” spotlight for more information on common myths surrounding homeownership. Speak with a repair person about DIY attempts he or she is frequently brought in to fix. Talk with REALTORS® about the home maintenance advice they give to their clients who are first-time homeowners.

Notice: The information on this page may not be current. The archive is a collection of content previously published on one or more NAR web properties. Archive pages are not updated and may no longer be accurate. Users must independently verify the accuracy and currency of the information found here. The National Association of REALTORS® disclaims all liability for any loss or injury resulting from the use of the information or data found on this page.