For the 10th time since the pandemic began, Manchester, N.H., has been named the nation’s hottest housing market in the country. The midsize city about an hour southwest of Boston is known as an affordable alternative that offers larger homes and more land for your money. It’s about 38% less costly than Boston's market, and has a median home list price of $416,250 compared to $675,000 in the Boston metro area, according to realtor.com®.
“Manchester-Nashua has really benefited from remote-work flexibility, placing it at or near the top of our hottest markets list repeatedly over the last year and a half,” says Danielle Hale, realtor.com®’s chief economist. “Home buyers in this area can have their home and still have money left to spend on other budget priorities.”
Smaller towns continue to reign on realtor.com®’s hottest housing market list for September. On a monthly basis, realtor.com®’s research team tracks the metro areas where homes are selling the quickest and where the most potential buyers are looking at properties at its site.
“As home prices remain near record highs nationally, real estate is getting the most attention from buyers and selling fastest in affordable areas, generally outside of big cities, where buyers can find homes in their price range,” Hale says.
The following 15 markets topped realtor.com®’s hottest market list for September:
1. Manchester, N.H.
- Median listing price: $416,250
2. Burlington, N.C.
- Median listing price: $294,995
3. Jefferson City, Mo.
- Median listing price: $199,950
4. Rochester, N.Y.
- Median listing price: $216,950
5. Eureka, Calif.
- Median listing price: $464,000
6. Elkhart, Ind.
- Median listing price: $232,250
7. Rapid City, S.D.
- Median listing price: $379,500
8. Topeka, Kan.
- Median listing price: $179,950
9. Lafayette, Ind.
- Median listing price: $215,000
10. Johnson City, Tenn.
- Median listing price: $304,450
11. Raleigh, N.C.
- Median listing price: $427,250
12. Janesville, Wis.
- Median listing price: $232,400
13. Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Median listing price: $227,388
14. Concord, N.H.
- Median listing pricing: $389,500
15. Portland, Maine
- Median listing price: $450,000