Federal Tax Return Filing Requirements for State PACs

Federal Tax Return Filing Requirements for State PACs

This is a reminder to State RPAC committees that they must comply with the annual IRS information and tax return filing requirements. Generally, a state PAC must file Federal Form 990 if it has gross receipts of $25,000 or more, or in some cases (that is, if it files reports with a state campaign finance agency that requires reporting certain information about PAC contributors and expenditures), if it has gross receipts of $100,000 or more. If the PAC has taxable income of more than $100, it must also file Federal Form 1120-POL and pay any tax due. Taxable income for a PAC is income other than contributions made to the PAC, such as investment income. Serious penalties for failing to file Form 990 may be imposed, including fines of up to $10,000 for each year the PAC fails to file Form 990, and 5 percent of any tax due for failure to file Form 1120-POL. State PACs must also file Federal Form 8871 with the IRS when they are formed, and may additionally be required to file periodic reports on Form 8872 unless they are exempted from that requirement, which most State PACs will be. (See "State and Local PAC IRS Reporting Requirements Terminated".) State PACs should also check on and comply with any state tax filing requirements as well.

State PACs should consult with their tax advisers for more information. See also the links below from the IRS website addressing these federal tax-filing requirements for political organizations, including State PACs:

For more information, contact Ralph Holmen: RHolmen@realtors.org or 312-329-8375.


Smart Growth Programs

Resources to help you and your association with transportation, land use, schools, open space, or bringing vacant properties back to productive use.