This page outlines the original Commitment to Excellence as approved by NAR's Board of Directors in May of 2015.
Learn more about the current Commitment to Excellence Program (C2EX).
Pledge of Performance
The REALTORS® Commitment to Excellence has been adopted as follows:
I am a REALTOR®.
As a real estate professional, laws and regulations set the minimum standards I owe to my clients, customers, and the public. In that regard, my duties are the same as other practitioners.
As a REALTOR®, I embrace and I am bound by the duties spelled out in the REALTORS® Code of Ethics. In addition to the duties owed to my clients and customers, to the public, and to other REALTORS®, I strive for the aspirational goals of the Preamble, knowing that the term REALTOR® stands for competency, fairness and integrity.
I believe in the value of the land. I understand the importance of adequate housing, functioning, livable cities, productive industries and farms and a healthful environment, and their role in nurturing a free society in the United States and internationally.
As a real estate professional I may be required to meet ongoing education requirements to maintain a license, certification or designation. As a REALTOR®, I continuously enhance my grasp of issues affecting real estate, and I willingly share my experience and expertise with other professionals. My dedication to the satisfaction of my clients’ best interests is my primary goal.
Understanding that the pursuit of knowledge continues lifelong, as a REALTOR® I will strive to achieve excellence in the following competencies:
- Being current and knowledgeable about the laws, regulations and legislation affecting the real estate disciplines I engage in, and about real estate in my community generally.
- Understanding the Code of Ethics is a living document, and keeping myself informed about its duties and obligations on an ongoing basis.
- Providing equal professional services to all consistent with Article 10 of the Code of Ethics.
- Advocating for property ownership rights in my community, state and nation.
- Acknowledging and valuing that honesty and integrity are fundamental and essential to REALTORS® being known as consumers’ trusted advisors.
- Becoming and remaining proficient in the use of technology tools to provide the highest levels of service to clients, customers and the public, and facilitating cooperation by sharing accurate, current information with consumers and with other real estate professionals.
- Keeping up-to-date on laws and regulations governing data privacy and data security, and taking necessary and appropriate steps to safeguard the privacy and integrity of information entrusted to me.
- Committing myself to enhancing my knowledge and skills in the real estate areas of practice I engage in on an ongoing basis.
- Providing superior customer service.
- Appreciating that courtesy, timely communication and cooperation are fundamental to facilitating successful real estate transactions, and to building and maintaining an impeccable professional reputation.
- As a broker-owner or principal of a real estate company, I am committed to creating and maintaining an environment that promotes excellent customer service consistent with these standards.
Download (DOC: 15 KB)
In May of 2015, NAR's Board of Directors adopted the REALTORS® Commitment to Excellence under which REALTORS® strive for excellence in a number of competencies, including the NAR Code of Ethics, the laws and regulations affecting real estate, and one’s advocacy efforts on behalf of strong real estate markets and healthy communities. The Commitment to Excellence also extends to the way REALTORS® interact with one another and with consumers and to the need to maintain one’s professional education. The Commitment also asks broker-owners and principals of real estate companies to maintain an environment that promotes excellent customer service.
To help oversee the Commitment, the Board created an advisory board comprised of nine members, including three from the Professional Standards Committee. The board will develop systems to ensure the competencies remain relevant and to provide the tools to administer the Commitment.