REALTORS® Confidence Index
Download (PDF: 2.9 MB)
The REALTORS® Confidence Index is a key indicator of housing market strength based on a monthly survey sent to over 50,000 real estate practitioners. Practitioners are asked about their expectations for home sales, prices and market conditions. In addition, the "Questions of the Month," feature results of a timely aspect of the housing market.
Note: the REALTOR® Confidence Index is provided by NAR solely for use as a reference. Resale of any part of this data is prohibited without NAR's prior written consent.
- Properties were typically on the market for 26 days (26 days in May 2018).
- Eighty-two percent of respondents reported that home prices remained constant or rose in May 2019 compared to levels one year ago (88 percent in May 2018).
- First-time buyers accounted for 32 percent of sales (31 percent in May 2018).
- Cash sales made up 19 percent of sales (21 percent in May 2018).
- REALTORS® report “low inventory” and “interest rate” as the major issues affecting transactions in May 2019.