Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is observed on the third Monday of January annually and marks the birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This holiday is also recognized as a day of service and is an opportunity to serve your community. With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and civil unrest, communities around the nation need help now more than ever. Based on data from the 2020 Member Profile and 2020 C.A.R.E. (Community Aid and Real Estate) Report we can see how REALTORS® are playing a vital role in giving back to their communities.
- 72% of REALTORS® reported volunteering in their community, and the typical REALTOR® who volunteers is 53 years old
- 67% of members-at-large volunteered on a monthly basis
- Volunteering is highest among REALTORS® in their 40s at 76%
- Part of the culture: 73%of broker-owners encouraged their agents associated with their firm to volunteer
- In the past year, REALTORS® are most likely to have volunteered with food delivery for the elderly or wellness checks to help with COVID-19; they are most likely to have donated to food banks or masks/protective gear
- 85% of general members at-large reported that it is an important component of their business plan to be involved in their community
- 91% of local and state associations held a fundraiser last year for their community; typically, associations held three fundraisers for their community.