International Women’s Day is celebrated internationally on March 8th each year. It is a day to acknowledge the economic, political, and social achievements of women. In recognition of this day we can examine the profile of women REALTORS® using the 2019 Member Profile.
Women in Real Estate
- Women make up 67% of all REALTORS®, with 37% licensed as brokers/broker associates, and 66% licensed as sales agents.
- Thirty-two percent of women members are between the ages of 50 and 59.
- Women members were most likely to be married, at 68%, 17% were divorced, 8% were single/never been married.
- Thirty percent of women members have completed some college.
- Thirty percent hold a Bachelor’s degree, 14% hold an Associate’s degree, and 11% hold a Master’s degree/MBA/law degree.
Real Estate Career
- For 74% of women members, real estate is currently their only occupation.
- Twenty-nine percent of women members have been active as a real estate professional for 16 or more.
- In a typical work week 47% of women members work 40 hours or more.
- Seventy-two percent of women members volunteer in their community.
- Only 3% of female members have cited real estate as their first career.
- Some of the previous occupations held by women members include:
- Management/Business/Financial: 15%
- Sales/Retail: 14%
- Office Admin Support: 13%
- Education: 8%
- Family Planner: 6%
- Healthcare: 7%