Home sellers decide to move for many reasons. Using the 2016 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers, we can discover these reasons as well as some surprising reasons for selling a home.
- Among all home sellers, 18 percent decided to sell their current home because it was too small.
- The desire to move closer to friends and family was the deciding factor for 15 percent of home sellers.
- Fourteen percent of sellers sold their home because of job relocation.
- All at 10 percent, the neighborhood becoming less desirable, a change in family situation, and that the home is too large were all reasons for selling.
- First-time sellers most often sold because their current home was too small (31 percent), for job relocation (13 percent), and because the neighborhood became less desirable (12 percent.
- Repeat sellers sold to move closer to friends and family (18 percent), because their home is too large (14 percent), or for a job relocation (14 percent).
- While not also the typical reason for selling, 28 percent of REALTOR® respondents have at least once had to sell a house or find a new home for a seller who was convinced that their house was haunted.