Mediate, don't arbitrate.
The National Association of REALTORS®' preferred method of dispute resolution since 2002, mediation often results in a win-win-win for REALTOR® associations and disputing parties. By mediating, REALTORS® and their clients/customers who otherwise would arbitrate their contractual and specific non-contractual disputes before a professional standards hearing panel can save time, money, and even relationships.
The National Association has prepared this mediation demonstration to help REALTOR® associations enhance their efforts to offer mediation as an alternative to arbitration, and it has something for everyone. REALTORS®, association staff, and members of the public who want to learn more about the mediation process and the stages of mediation can view the approximately 85-minute video in its entirety or view individual segments. The demonstration includes overview commentary by Lynn Cohn, Director of the Program on Negotiations and Mediation and Senior Lecturer at Northwestern Law School.
Questions about the overviews and demonstration, including mediation in general, can be directed to the Member Experience team at 312-329-8399, or email to NARpolicyQuestions@nar.realtor.
- NAR Mediation Overview (3 minutes)
- Opening Statement Overview (2 minutes)
- Mediator's Opening Statement (9 minutes)
- Parties Initial Statements, Issue Identification, and Cross-talk Overview (1 minute)
- Parties Initial Statements, Issue Identification, and Cross-talk (38 minutes)
- Caucus Overview (1 minute)
- Caucus #1 (7 minutes)
- Caucus #2 (9 minutes)
- Final Joint Session Overview (2 minutes)
- Final Joint Session (12 minutes)
- Benefits of Mediation Overview (1 minute)