June 2017 Business Creation Index
The Business Creation Index (BCI) was created to monitor local economic conditions from the perspective of NAR’s commercial members. The quarterly report offers insight from commercial real estate professionals into whether businesses are opening or closing by industry, population density, and subregion. On a monthly basis, it tracks three key questions related to local market conditions:
- An increase of businesses opening in local communities in the last 30 days
- An increase of businesses closing in local communities in the last 30 days
- Net businesses opening and closing in local communities in the last 30 days.
- Fifty-three percent of respondents said they had seen an increase in businesses opening in June of 2017, slightly down from 55 percent in April and May.
- In March 2017, 58 percent said they has seen an increase in businesses openings, the highest reported since the survey was launched last year in August 2016.
- Sixty-four percent of respondents said they had not seen an increase in businesses closing in May and June 2017.