Citation Guidelines for NAR Research & Statistics
For NAR Members
As a benefit of membership, we permit NAR members to cite and reprint material from the Research & Statistics Department on https://www.nar.realtor/research-and-statistics—with some exceptions and exclusions.
- Read the Reprint Guidelines in their entirety before you proceed with reprinting any material from the site.
Please note that this permission does not extend to the photography, images, or illustration that accompanies the content because the National Association of REALTORS® generally does not own those photographs, images, or illustrations. Infographics, however, that have been created by the National Association of REALTORS® that have the NAR logo and copyright can be used by members for their businesses.
Citation Guidelines for Research & Data
To cite or reprint a research report, statistical release, presentation, or blog article, please follow these three steps:
1. Determine if the content you want to cite or reprint is copyrighted by NAR. NAR does not hold copyright if the article contains language at the end that specifies a different copyright holder, (e.g., © Copyright 2011 Information Inc.) If there is no copyright line, you have the right to cite and reprint the article for personal use, provided that you use the reprint language below and follow the guidelines set forth here.
If an online article that is not on www.nar.realtor/research-and-statistics cites NAR data or research, you will need to find the original data or report and cite it directly. If a third party website, such as a media outlet, uses NAR data combined with data from other sources to create an original chart, citation will need to be directed to the online article.
2. You do not need to seek permission to link from your website to items on www.nar.realtor/research-and-statistics, provided you are not reprinting material. Please note for your visitors that the link goes to the website of the National Association of REALTORS® with the proper citation below.
For reprint, send us an e-mail informing us of your intention to reprint content from the Research & Statistics Department. Contact the Data Mailbox at email@example.com. In your email, include your name, company name, the article or column to be reprinted, how the reprint will be used (for example, if you plan to post the story on your website, include it in your newsletter, or pass out to clients), or the name of the publication in which the reprint will appear. If you have any questions regarding the reprint policy or procedures, please send an email to the above email address.
3. Give credit. You must credit NAR using the appropriate permission language:
Copyright ©date “Title of Research Report.” Publishing Organization in Italics. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission. Publication date and/or access date if available, URL.
- Copyright ©2016 “Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers.” NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission. March 21, 2017, https://www.nar.realtor/reports/highlights-from-the-profile-of-home-buyers-and-sellers.
- Note: spell out NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (instead of the abbreviation NAR)
When citing from NAR’s Housing Statistics:
Copyright ©date “Title of Data Worksheet.” Publishing Organization in Italics. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission. Publication date and/or access date if available, URL.
- Copyright ©2017 “February Existing Home Sales.” NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission. March 21, 2017, https://www.nar.realtor/sites/default/files/reports/2017/embargoes/ehs-03-22/ehs-02-2017-overview-2017-03-22.pdf.
When citing from a blog on NAR’s The Economists’ Outlook Blog:
Last name, First name. “Title of Blog.” Publishing Organization in Italics, name of blog source. Publication date and/or access date if available, URL.
- Yun, Lawrence. “Housing Demand over the Next Decade.” NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®, The Economists’ Outlook Blog. March 2, 2017, http://economistsoutlook.blogs.realtor.org/2017/03/02/housing-demand-over-the-next-decade/.
When citing from one of NAR’s Presentations:
Presented by First name Last name, “Title of Presentation,” Publishing Organization or Name of Website in Italics. Location of presentation, publication date and/or access date if available, URL.
- Presented by Lawrence Yun, “Economic and Housing Market Outlook,” Residential Economic Issues & Trends Forum at the REALTORS® Conference & Expo. Orlando, Florida, November 4, 2016, https://www.nar.realtor/presentations/november-2016-economic-and-housing-market-outlook.
With regards to NAR Housing Statistics releases, while this information is made publicly available at the time of release, it is strictly prohibited to collect the data and resell to third-party customers for profit without permission. Should you wish to provide the statistical data to customers, you may purchase the data under contract. Please contact Caroline Van Hollen, CVanHollen@realtors.org, for more information.
Housing Statistic releases include the following:
- Existing-Home Sales, Pending Home Sales Index, Housing Affordability Index, REALTORS® Affordability Distribution Curve and Score, Metropolitan Median Home Prices and Affordability, and County Median Home Prices and Monthly Mortgage Payment
What You Can Reprint
Public pages of www.nar.realtor: You may reprint written content—in hard copy, on a website, or other electronic communication—as long as the content comes from public pages on www.nar.realtor (public pages do not require a username and password for access), and the copyright for the content is held by the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. (NAR does not hold copyright if the article contains language at the end that specifies a different copyright holder, e.g., © Copyright 2011 Information Inc.)
Written content must be reproduced in full. For each item you reproduce, please include the following attribution:
- Copyright ©[insert year] NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission.
REALTOR® Store E-products: You may use content and information from REALTOR® Store e-products, as long as the information is properly attributed to the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®, is not altered, and clearly displays this copyright line:
- Copyright ©2016 NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission.
Linking to www.nar.realtor
If you link from your website to items on www.nar.realtor, you do not need permission, provided you are not reprinting material. Please note for your visitors that the link goes to the website of the National Association of REALTORS®. You may want open the www.nar.realtor link open in a new browser tab, so visitors don't navigate away from your site.