Ninety-two percent of REALTORS® recommend that sellers improve their curb appeal before listing their home for sale, according to a survey from the National Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of Landscape Professionals. What pays off the most when it comes to curb appeal? Of course, every project and every market is different, but here’s the estimated cost recovery on the top outdoor remodeling projects identified in the 2023 Remodeling Impact Report. Cost estimates are from landscape pros; cost recovery estimates are from REALTORS®, members of NAR.
1. Standard lawn care service: 217% (percent of value recovered)
- Project: Complete six standard seasonal applications of fertilizer or weed control on 5,000 square feet of lawn.
- Cost estimate: $415
- Estimated cost recovered: $900
2. Landscape maintenance: 104%
- Project: Mulch, mow, prune shrubs and plant about 60 perennials or annuals.
- Cost estimate: $4,800
- Estimated cost recovered: $5,000
3. Outdoor kitchen: 100%
- Project: Install an inset grill, stainless steel drawers, ice chest sink and concrete countertop with veneered masonry stone.
- Cost estimate: $15,000
- Estimated cost recovered: $15,000
4. Overall landscape upgrade: 100%
- Project: Install a front walkway of natural flagstone; add two stone planters, five flowering shrubs and a 15-foot-tall tree.
- Cost estimate: $9,000
- Estimated cost recovered: $9,000
5. New patio: 95%
- Project: Install a backyard 18-by-16-foot concrete paver patio.
- Cost estimate: $10,500
- Estimated cost recovered: $10,000