Pittsburgh Paints and Stains has called “Mushroom”—a semi-transparent wood stain—its stain Color of the Year for 2022. Helen Burkholder, paint expert and marketing manager with Pittsburgh Paints & Stains, talks to the Styled, Staged & Sold blog about why she considers this stain the hottest choice as well as additional considerations when looking to revive your deck.
What tips do you have for choosing the right stain color for a deck?
One of the best—and most inexpensive ways—to spruce up an outdoor space is to update a deck stain color. Homeowners may want to consider setting an overall design theme for their exterior spaces. With many stain colors to choose from, they’ll want to make sure the stain color pairs nicely with the surrounding landscape and matches other exterior wood surfaces. Also, a suggestion to guide choosing a theme is to extend an indoor color palette to outdoor areas.
How often should you restain your deck, and why should you?
This is an effective method of preserving and extending the life of wooden substrates, as stain acts as a protective barrier from the following:
- Rain—water can penetrate into the wood fibers leading to warping, swelling and cracking.
- Sun—it can dry and discolor wood, causing it to crack, split and turn gray.
- Mildew stains—mold, mildew and algae stains are unsightly and detract from the beauty of the wood.
- Because of the protective and cosmetic benefits of staining, we recommend that homeowners stain their decks based on exposure and opacity. Here are a few guidelines:
- For clear stains, decks should be stained every 2-3 years;
- For toners, 3-5 years;
- For semi-transparent stains, 5-7 years;
- For solids, 8-20 years.
- Vertical surfaces need to be stained less often than horizontal surfaces.
Why is "Mushroom" the "it" stain for this year? Does this work on a variety of styles?
Mushroom is a warm, earthy, soft gray tone that works for a myriad of outdoor applications including decks, gazebos, siding and fencing. It is a versatile hue that is a natural extension of the 2022 trending palette for interiors. Mushroom is a tint available across PPG’s line of consumer woodcare brands including in the Olympic brand sold through by major retailers.
Mushroom fits in with the calming, green colors chosen for “colors of the year” for interiors. So it makes a perfect match for the green, natural colors of the outdoors as well.
Subscribe to receive weekly home staging tips and design trends delivered directly to your inbox from the Styled, Staged & Sold blog.