You may be getting member questions about a change in the distribution strategy of REALTOR® Magazine, beginning with the Fall 2023 issue. Here’s background information to help you answer members’ concerns.
NAR has reduced the number of print magazines being mailed by approximately 300,000 copies. For many years, NAR has taken advantage of U.S. Postal Service discounts to mail “firm bundles” to companies receiving six or more copies of the magazine. Firm bundling is by far the most economical mailing method. Previously, a company with 10 brokers and agents would receive a bundle of 10 magazines, a company with 120 agents would receive a bundle of 120 magazines, and so on. Now, companies with six or more members are receiving a set number of magazines addressed to “NAR Member.” The allocation of print magazines is based on company size:
- Six magazines to offices with six to 50 agents (17,837 offices)
- 12 magazines to offices with 51 to 100 agents (1,202 offices)
- 20 magazines to offices with more than 100 agents (478 offices)
Why the change?
For the past several years, the magazine has absorbed significant and ongoing increases in printing, paper and postage costs, while print advertising revenue has declined. In addition, members reported that firm bundles of the magazine were being discarded by companies, highlighting concerns about unnecessary waste in the distribution process. By reducing the number of magazines included in firm bundles, we can continue to print and distribute REALTOR® Magazine, upholding its quality and relevance to our members.
Was sustainability a factor?
Yes, it was. The new strategy enables NAR to reduce waste and maintain cost-effective delivery of REALTOR® Magazine, one of the most tangible benefits of membership. The magazine has long had a digital option. In tandem with the adjustment to firm bundles, we have begun sending an email notification to all members when the magazine is released each quarter. Previously, the email went only to members who specifically requested digital in place of the print edition. This expansion allows NAR to provide all members with convenient access to the magazine content and reflects our commitment to embracing evolving digital advances and reader preferences. (Since 2012, when the magazine launched a digital “flipbook” edition, AEs and staff specialists have been part of the digital distribution.)
Were members involved in the decision?
Yes. The decision to adjust the firm bundles was made after careful deliberation and in consultation with NAR's Member Communications Committee and Finance Committee.
What if members still want a magazine with their name on it?
Members have the option of having their magazine sent to their home. They can manage this preference by logging into nar.realtor, navigating to the My Account section, ensuring their home address is accurate, and selecting Home rather than Office as their preferred publication address.
If members do adjust their publication address, here are some examples of how it will affect the mailings that go to brokerages:
- If “DeRosa Realty” has six active REALTORS® receiving the magazine in an office and two of them switch their Preferred Publication flag to receive their magazine at home, the other four will get their magazine mailed to the office with their name on the magazine.
- If “DeRosa Realty” has 61 active REALTORS® receiving the magazine in an office, and 11 switch their Preferred Publication flag to receive their magazine at home, the office will get 6 copies (addressed to "NAR Member").
- If “DeRosa Realty” has 120 active REALTORS® receiving the magazine in an office, and 50 switch their Preferred Publication flag to receive their magazine at home, that means the office has 70 REALTORS® with Office as the Preferred Publication address, and the office will now get only 12 copies. However, if “DeRosa Realty” has 120 active REALTORS® receiving the magazine in an office, and 10 switch their Preferred Publication flag to receive their magazines at home, that means the office has 110 with Office as the Preferred Publication address and will still get 20 copies.
“This change is a positive step toward ensuring that REALTOR® Magazine reaches members in a way that is both cost-effective and environmentally conscious. We value your partnership and greatly appreciate your understanding and support as we navigate these changes,” says Jen Hajigeorgiou, director of content strategy for NAR.
Questions? Contact the NAR content team at firstname.lastname@example.org.