Running your office efficiently requires technology that’s nimble. For real estate professionals, being tied down to a desktop computer isn’t ideal—or, perhaps, even possible. Especially when dealing with clients, the portability of a laptop is a must. But there are other considerations that are essential for supporting a successful business, such as security of client-sensitive data and reliable system performance.
Our Pick for Best PC: ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7
Ask the question—“Which laptop is best for agents and brokers?”—and you’ll get many different answers. Our answer is the ThinkPad X1 Carbon, an Ultrabook, which is a class of business-ready laptops defined by a thin and light profile, superior portability, long battery life, and high performance. It has the renowned durability of a ThinkPad and meets the requirements of a good laptop for broker-owners, agents, and office staff.
New Features for 2019
New for 2019, the ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 debuts new features that are bound to make your day-to-day easier and your office run more efficiently. Slimmer, lighter, and thinner than its previous 6th generation, the X1 Carbon offers over 18 hours of battery life, enhanced security features, and premium tech specs for high performance. View comps and market analyses clearly with display options including 4K UHD with Dolby Vision.
The X1 Carbon also has enhanced security features to safeguard data and provide peace of mind. A built-in sliding webcam cover, ThinkShutter, eliminates the chance of any peeping Toms or accidental broadcasting. A fingerprint reader and facial recognition capability add biometric layers of security. Another great feature is PrivacyAlert, an integrated software that works with the IR camera to ensure that if others look over your shoulder, a pop-up then notifies you of the potential threat.
3 Tips for Choosing a Laptop
Any computer you choose should be a tool to streamline your business’s day-to-day, not impede it. We recommend choosing a laptop that stands out in these areas:
- Security: Cybersecurity is a hot topic for businesses, and with good reason. Keeping your communications and sensitive data away from prying eyes Tech 101, but there can’t be a single weak link in the tech line-up you use.
- Portability: Although files have largely gone digital, the real estate industry still requires more physical paperwork than most. Your laptop shouldn’t be a burden to carry around on top of that. Portability is a big factor, but also consider a laptop’s durability and if it’s able to handle wear-and-tear from being transported often.
- Performance: The processor, memory (RAM), and hard drive are all important factors in a computer’s performance. Sifting through the tech specs can quickly become a headache, but there are some basic specifications to use as a guideline:
- Intel i7 core processors will do just fine, though i9 is newer and faster. (However, you may not need i9, depending on your level of use).
- Opt for 16 GB RAM of memory, or 8 GB at an absolute minimum.
- A solid state drive (SSD) is typically preferred over a traditional, spinning hard drive. A 256 GB SSD is the lowest you should go.
Finding a laptop that meets your requirements may seem time-consuming and tedious, but the right computer is critical to operating your business and well worth the investment. You don’t need to stretch your budget thin on the absolute best PC (or Mac) you can buy, but there are a few areas where compromise isn’t an option. Navigating these critical areas will help make the task of choosing the right laptop less daunting.
Lenovo is a proud partner in the REALTOR Benefits® Program, providing members access to discounts of up to 45% off, plus the opportunity to save even more with special offers and flash sales. Visit Lenovo.com/NAR, or call a Lenovo sales specialist at 1-800-426-7235 ext. 4827.