Pathways to Professionalism: Respect for Peers
Pathways to Professionalism is a list of professional courtesies for voluntary use by REALTORS®. The REALTOR® Association of West/South Suburban Chicagoland took the NAR Pathways to Professionalism one step further by developing a video series articulating its key concepts and courtesies. Originally published in 2007, this segment of the video features an overview of the Pathways to Professionalism "Respect for Peers" guidelines. Each of the guidelines is also listed below.
- Identify your REALTOR® and professional status in all contacts with other REALTORS®.
- Respond to other agents’ calls, faxes, and e-mails promptly and courteously.
- Be aware that large electronic files with attachments or lengthy faxes may be a burden on recipients.
- Notify the listing broker if there appears to be inaccurate information on the listing.
- Share important information about a property, including the presence of pets; security systems; and whether sellers will be present during the showing.
- Show courtesy, trust and respect to other real estate professionals.
- Avoid the inappropriate use of endearments or other denigrating language.
- Do not prospect at other REALTORS®’ open houses or similar events.
- Return keys promptly.
- Carefully replace keys in the lockbox after showings.
- To be successful in the business, mutual respect is essential.
- Real estate is a reputation business. What you do today may affect your reputation – and business – for years to come.