REALTORS® Confidence Index
Download (PDF 2.5 MB)
The REALTORS® Confidence Index is a key indicator of housing market strength based on a monthly survey sent to over 50,000 real estate practitioners. Practitioners are asked about their expectations for home sales, prices and market conditions. In addition, the "Questions of the Month," feature results of a timely aspect of the housing market.
Note: the REALTOR® Confidence Index is provided by NAR solely for use as a reference. Resale of any part of this data is prohibited without NAR's prior written consent.
- Seventy-eight percent of respondents reported that home prices remained constant or rose in February 2019 compared to levels one year ago (88 percent in February 2018).
- First-time buyers accounted for 32 percent of sales (29 percent in February 2018).
- Sales of distressed properties (foreclosed or sold as a short sale) accounted for four percent of sales (four percent in February 2018).
- Cash sales made up 23 percent of sales (24 percent in February 2018).
- Twenty-three percent of sellers offered incentives such as paying for closing costs (10 percent), providing warranty (9 percent), and undertaking remodeling (3 percent).