2017 Q4 Homeownership Opportunities and Market Experience (HOME) Survey
Download (PDF 1.8MB)
The Housing Opportunities and Market Experience (HOME) report was created to monitor consumer sentiment about the housing market. It covers core topics that are tracked on a monthly basis, such as views on housing as a good financial investment, whether homeownership is part of the American Dream, if now is a good time to buy or sell a home and perception of home price changes.
- In the fourth quarter of 2017, 72 percent of people believe that now is a good time to buy a home.
- Forty-three percent believe that strongly, a decrease from 48 percent in Q3 2017 and 45 percent in Q4 2016.
- Seventy-one percent of people believe that now is a good time to sell a home, down from 78 percent in Q3 2017 and an increase from 62 percent in Q4 2016.
- Forty-three percent believe that strongly, down from 51 percent in Q3 2017.
- 85 percent would deduct both mortgage interest and property taxes if they bought a new home.
- If changes to these deductions were made, 48 percent would experience financial strain.
- 30 percent would be reluctant to move.
This HOME survey is released on a quarterly basis.