Home Buyer and Seller Generational Trends
DOWNLOAD (PDF 5.06 MB)
Since 2013, the National Association of REALTORS® has been writing the Home Buyers and Sellers Generational Trends Report. This report provides insights into differences and similarities across generations of home buyers and home sellers. The home buyer and seller data is taken from the annual Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers.
- One consistent finding for the last four years has been that buyers 36 years and younger (Millennials/Gen Yers) is the largest share of home buyers at 34 percent.
- 46 percent of buyers 36 years and younger that had debt reported having student loan debt with a median loan balance of $25,000.
- While only 27 percent of buyers 37 to 51 have student loan debt, they have the highest median balance of debt at $30,000.
- Buyers 52 to 61 are more likely to buy a multi-generational home.
- Buyers 62 to 70 typically move the longest distance at a median of 25 miles and are least likely to make compromises on their home purchase.
- All generations of buyers continue to consult a real estate agent or broker to help them buy and sell their home.
Take this course to learn more about the characteristics of the different generations of home buyers you work with, their expectations, and their communication preferences. The course offers generation-specific marketing tools, networking tips, scripts, and counseling strategies to help you improve your business.
This two-day training program offers real estate agents the unique opportunity to learn and build key skills in counseling adults age 50+ through selling their family home, buying rental property, moving to a senior community, among many other issues. This course fulfills the training requirement for the SRES designation.