2016 Q2 Homeownership Opportunities and Market Experience (HOME) Survey
The Housing Opportunities and Market Experience (HOME) report was created to monitor consumer sentiment about the housing market. It covers core topics that will be tracked on a monthly basis such as views on housing as a good financial investment, whether homeownership is part of the American Dream, if now is a good time to buy or sell a home and perception of home price changes.
- In the second quarter of 2016, 74 percent of people believe that now is a good time to buy a home. Forty-two percent believe that strongly, down from 44 percent in Q1 2016.
- Only 26 percent of people believe that now is not a good time to buy a home.
- Sixty-one percent of people believe that now is a good time to sell a home, up from 56 percent in Q1 2016. Thirty-two percent believe that strongly, up from 28 percent in Q1 2016.
- Forty-seven percent of those 34 years or younger have student loan debt.
- Respondents that rent or live with someone else more often reported that they have student loan debt than those that own their own home.
This HOME survey will be released on a quarterly basis. The remaining release dates in 2016 will be:
- September 14, 2016
- December 14, 2016