A REALTOR® Member who has held membership in the National Association as a REALTOR®, REALTOR-ASSOCIATE®, or both, for a cumulative period of forty (40) years is eligible for REALTOR® Emeritus status.
2015 Change: At the 2013 REALTORS® Conference & Expo, the Delegate Body approved an amendment to Article III, Section 9 of the NAR Constitution, which outlines REALTOR® Emeritus eligibility. Beginning with applications filed in 2015, in addition to the forty (40) years of membership, a REALTOR® Emeritus candidate member must also have completed at least one (1) year of service at the National Association level. However, for applications filed through 2019, the one (1) year service requirement may also be met through service at the state or local level. This provision will sunset at the end of 2019.
Upon approval of an application for REALTOR® Emeritus by the Board of Directors of the National Association of REALTORS®, no further payment of dues to the National Association is necessary by the member association of which the REALTOR® Emeritus is a member. Please note that the dues waiver does not take effect until the dues year immediately following the Board of Directors’ approval. In addition, REALTOR® Emeritus Members are exempt from the Code of Ethics Training requirement.
A completed application is necessary to begin the approval process for REALTOR® Emeritus status, which must be completed by the candidate’s local association. Documentation substantiating the candidate’s forty (40) years of membership (and one (1) year of service, as applicable) must be attached to the application.
The new REALTOR® Emeritus eligibility criteria shall be implemented as follows:
In addition to the required forty (40) years of REALTOR® membership:
- Applications submitted in the years 2015 through 2019 will require proof of one (1) year of service* at the local, state, or National Association level.
- Applications submitted in 2020 and beyond will require proof of one (1) year of service* at the National Association level.
* “Service” is defined as serving as an officer, director, committee member, federal political coordinator, president’s liaison or regional coordinator to a country with which NAR holds a reciprocal agreement.
- Application opens every year on January 15 until the April 2 deadline (for May approvals)
- Reopens June 15 until the October 2 deadline (for November approvals)
CLOSED — If you missed the deadline, you can come back January 15, 2019 to submit for approval at the REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo held in Washington D.C. in May.
April 2, 2019 will be the next deadline to complete certification forms for REALTOR® Emeritus status. Certified REALTOR® Emeritus members do not pay dues to the National Association and are exempt from the NAR Code of Ethics Training requirement. Applications are online (see below) and must be filled out by the association. The dues waiver does not take effect until the following 'dues season'.
For applications filed through 2019, the one-year service requirement may also be met through service at the state or local level.
For more info, contact Mary Glick, 800-874-6500, ext. 8831.
Applications & Additional Information
- NAR REALTOR® Emeritus Application (Login required. Must be completed by applicant's local association.)
- View the list of past REALTORS® Emeritus Recipients
- Search current and past Committee/Board of Directors Appointments
- Committee Appointment Process FAQs
NAR Member Support
Attn: Mary Glick, Senior Information Specialist
430 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: 800-874-6500 ext. 8831