WASHINGTON (June 1, 2020) – A majority of people – 65% – who attended an open house within the last year would do so now without hesitation, according to survey data released by the National Association of Realtors®. The series of surveys, which explored how home buyers and sellers want to safely handle home sales transactions during the coronavirus pandemic, were conducted by the research firm Engagious for NAR as the association kicks off National Homeownership Month.
“The real estate industry – and our country – has endured some very challenging times for several months, but we’re seeing signs of progress and we are earnestly hoping the worst is behind us,” said NAR President Vince Malta, broker at Malta & Co., Inc., in San Francisco, CA. “While we celebrate Homeownership month, we embrace today’s version of homeownership and the unique paths homeowners take to realize their dream. For prospective buyers, the desire to own a home remains strong and the guidance, expertise and professionalism Realtors® provide is more important now than ever.”
The series of biweekly national surveys collected information on consumer attitudes about working with real estate professionals during the coronavirus pandemic. Several survey highlights include:
- Approximately half of buyers (47%) and sellers (53%) said that during the current pandemic, relying upon a real estate professional when searching for or selling a home is much more important than before.
- A majority of buyers (54%) and sellers (62%) said that particularly during the pandemic, a real estate agent’s guidance is especially valued.
- Almost 6 in 10 buyers and sellers – 59% and 58%, respectively – believed that buying and selling real estate is an essential service.
- About half of buyers – 51% – said an agent can help buyers glean more valuable information from online listings than buyers could uncover on their own.
- More than half of buyers – 56% – believed an agent can save a buyer the time and stress of weeding through online listings.
The National Association of Realtors® is America’s largest trade association, representing more than 1.4 million members involved in all aspects of the residential and commercial real estate industries.
# # #