NAR Strategic Framework
The NAR Strategic Framework was developed by the NAR Strategic Thinking Advisory Committee (STAC), a diverse group of members representing a wide range of disciplines within the industry and organized real estate, including the NAR Extended Leadership Team.
To support the strategic thinking process, STAC reviewed numerous studies, articles and trend reports from experts within and outside of real estate, to better assess the changing industry landscape. STAC met for two days in June and again in August, 2018 to develop a plan that positions NAR and its members as the leaders of the real estate industry. Feedback was also solicited from NAR’s Leading Edge Advisory Board and a random sampling of NAR members.
Download the Strategic Framework
(PDF: 2.10 MB)
Learn more about the creation of the Strategic Framework and its vision for NAR's future:
NAR Long-Term Goals: Where Are We Going?
Benefits & Services
- NAR will serve the member and the consumer by setting and enforcing the standard for ethical practice within the profession.
- NAR will deliver innovative programs, products and services to support the success and profitability of the REALTOR®.
- The value of membership in NAR will be clear, essential and undeniable.
Organizational Design & Capacity
- NAR will deliver a personalized member experience.
- NAR will be a nimble, decisive leader in shaping the future of real estate.
NAR Position and Influence
- NAR will continue to be the trusted voice for the industry, and the thought leader in advancing the practice of real estate worldwide.
- NAR will be sought after as a strategic partner in driving innovation in the business of real estate.
- NAR will further influence the issues that impact the development of healthy, vibrant, diverse communities.
- NAR will unite all facets of the residential and commercial industry to create a powerful, cohesive voice for real estate.
- NAR will provide opportunities for members to collaborate, learn and grow across disciplines.
NAR Operating Values
What do we stand for?
Right to Housing: We believe that every individual should have access to safe, decent, affordable housing.
Real Estate Impact: We believe that a thriving residential and commercial real estate market is a critical economic engine to support healthy vibrant communities.
Private Property Rights: We believe that the freedom to buy, sell, and utilize property, as protected by the 5th amendment, underlies all real estate transactions and markets.
Homeownership: We support the broadest opportunity for homeownership and promote the benefits to individuals, families and the community.
Entrepreneurship: We believe that every individual should have the freedom to pursue their business goals and succeed in creating the quality of life they desire.
Professionalism: We believe that all REALTORS® ascribe to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism.
How will we operate?
Empathy: In all that we do, we are guided by a deep understanding and sensitivity to our members’ needs and concerns and stay focused on removing barriers to their success and profitability.
Collaboration: We believe that by sharing expertise, ideas and resources with others, we can build relationships and solutions that will advance the industry. We will always seek to find best in brand companies, partners or platforms, rather than build or develop it ourselves.
Stewardship: We believe that we have a responsibility to manage and direct the assets of the Association, including the integrity of the REALTOR® brand, for the sole purpose of benefiting our members.
Transparency: We strive for open, two-way communication with members to inform our actions and decisions on their behalf.
Resilience: To lead effectively, we must adapt to our changing environment and be proactive in shaping a future in which our members can thrive.
Inclusivity: We believe that every voice has value in shaping the work we do, and that by embracing our differences, we will learn more, be stronger and develop better solutions.