2022 NAR Strategic Priorities
NAR's operating values and long-term goals for 2022 and beyond.
USE THE POWER AND STRENGTH OF THE REALTOR® VOICE TO ADVANCE POLICY PRIORITIES, COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, AND PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS.
REALTORS® are informed and engaged community leaders, driving economic development, affordability, and innovative community design. In 2022, NAR will:
- Work to elect REALTOR® champions and advance the real estate issues at every level that drive community development, private property rights, and the American dream of homeownership for all.
- Advocate for initiatives at the local, state, and federal level that will lead to increased housing inventory and accessibility.
- Prioritize the REALTOR® Party community and state advocacy programs, which establish REALTORS® as thought leaders in their communities.
- Actively seek to generate opportunity for members, commercial and residential, by facilitating dialogue among practitioners, investors, developers, policymakers, lenders, community leaders, and other allied professionals. Promote economic growth as the country, and the world, continue to grapple with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Facilitate collaboration between residential and commercial real estate organizations—including multicultural real estate groups and NAR’s institutes, societies, and councils — to strengthen our value and voice.
CHAMPION REALTORS® AS CONSUMERS’ BEST SOURCE OF INFORMATION ON THE REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION.
REALTORS® are a collective force, cooperating to provide the real estate data and expertise that consumers, businesses, and governments rely on. In 2022, NAR will:
- Reinforce the essential role REALTORS® play in the industry and the transaction as businesses evolve and technology advances.
- Through its strategic investment arm, identify and mentor emerging real estate technology companies with high growth potential to access the market in a way that benefits, rather than disrupts, REALTORS®, and serves members and consumers.
- Continue to support programs and policies that open markets and break geographic barriers to facilitate the sharing of property listings and other data.
- Educate the market about the critical role the multiple listing service (MLS) plays in ensuring the greatest possible equity for Americans from all walks of life who otherwise would not be able to afford a home and professional representation.
- Facilitate collaboration between MLSs and other data providers to ensure our members can meet the needs and expectations
- of today’s consumers.
EXPAND EQUAL HOUSING OPPORTUNITY AND AFFORDABILITY.
REALTORS® are committed to fulfilling the promise of the Fair Housing Act. Building on our Fair Housing ACT! Plan (ACT = Accountability, Culture Change, and Training), in 2022, NAR will lead the way with policies and programs that:
- Help our members provide equal opportunity to all homebuyers.
- Enable more people to build wealth through homeownership.
- Foster diverse, inclusive communities.
- Attract and mentor a diverse, inclusive next generation of practitioners.
- Facilitate collaboration with a broad coalition of organizations — including multicultural real estate groups, lenders, and builders — to bring a collective voice to the mission of equal housing opportunity for all.
LEAD ON SUSTAINABILITY AMONG MEMBERS, ASSOCIATIONS, INDUSTRY GROUPS, AND COMMUNITIES.
REALTORS® are invested in having a national infrastructure that prioritizes viability, adaptability, resiliency, and resource efficiency — one that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. In 2022, NAR will:
- Continue implementation of a multiyear Sustainability and Resilience Plan that reinforces NAR’s position as a leader on the topic, strengthening the association’s support of and engagement on sustainability efforts throughout the industry.
- Educate members and associations about the four pillars of the Sustainability and Resilience Plan — environmental, social, governance, and resilience — and it’s benefit to REALTORS®, the real estate industry, and the public.
- Support community discussion and policy engagement around sustainability issues that directly impact communities, transactions, and association operations.
- Grow as a leading and trusted voice for sustainability in real estate through communication, advocacy, education, and professionalism.
- Collaborate and partner with related sustainability industry groups for the benefit of REALTORS®, the industry, and the nation.
ENHANCE MEMBER ENGAGEMENT AND THE MEMBER EXPERIENCE.
REALTORS® get measurable value from their membership, and their engagement in the organization benefits their business and their community. To enhance member engagement in 2022, NAR will:
- Help members adjust to the new realities of the market, including the continued challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, through delivery of essential resources and services, including world-class credentials and professional development offered live or online.
- Facilitate robust member participation in the political process at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Celebrate members’ volunteer efforts and demonstrate the impact REALTORS® have on communities across the country.
- Prioritize member safety by providing the education and resources REALTORS® need to identify and guard against risks, with the goal that every REALTOR® comes home safely every night.
- Educate members — residential and commercial — on underutilized benefits and resources to help them make the most of their membership.
- Attract and retain new members through outreach that explains the resources and benefits of membership.
- Continue a multiyear effort to know our members better in order to provide more relevant, customized content and services through:
- Updates to our data infrastructure
- Active listening and communication through appropriate channels
- Emphasize diversity and inclusion in decision-making.
- Collaborate with state and local associations and our technology partners to provide members with a more customized experience, so members feel heard and their perception of the value of membership in the REALTOR® organization increases.